Journalist Law School
Loyola Law School is offering fellowships to 35 professional journalists who have a minimum of three years of experience as a journalist.
The challenge of reporting on the legal system without a law degree is daunting. To help support journalists who cover the courts on national, regional or local levels, the Civil Justice Program at Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, has developed the journalist law program consisting of a four-day intensive seminar on the legal system. Lectures, lodging, and most meals are covered by the program. View the program overview or the JLS 2017 brochure for further details.
The 12th-Annual Journalist Law School fellowship will be held June 7-10, 2017.
About the Application Process
- The application process closed at 11:59 p.m. PST on Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2017.
- Admissions status notifications will be sent the first week of April 2017.
- Journalists with questions about the JLS may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Fellowship Covers:
- One-half of travel expenses*
Journalist Law School Activities Include:
- Classes with experienced law faculty who understand deadline pressure.
- Lectures by practicing journalist-lawyers.
- Opportunities to meet informally with state and federal judges, other journalists and leading members of the Bar.
- A certificate of completion, to be awarded at the end of the program.
The classes will take place in the Frank Gehry-designed Girardi Advocacy Center, containing state-of-the-art teaching facilities and courtrooms. The campus is located in downtown Los Angeles within walking distance of the L.A. LIVE entertainment hub and Staples Center, home of the Los Angeles Lakers, Clippers and Kings.
* Travel expenses up to a maximum of $300
JLS staff will notify all applicants of their admission status.
For questions about the substance of the Journalist Law School curriculum, please contact Brian Costello, deputy director of communications. For logistical questions, please contact Lindsey Hinojosa, director of conferences and events. Contact information is at right.