Susan Smith Bakhshian
Clinical Professor of Law
Director of Bar Programs
- California Civil Procedure
- Law & Process: Privacy Torts
- Fundamentals of Bar Exam Writing
- Ethical Lawyering
- Legal Drafting
- Legal Research and Writing
- Introduction to Negotiation
- BS, summa cum laude, California State University Northridge
- JD, magna cum laude, Loyola Law School, Order of the Coif
After graduating from Loyola Law School's evening program, Susan Smith Bakhshian practiced with a Los Angeles law firm as a trial attorney, representing clients in a variety of environmental and general litigation matters. Her clients ranged from multinational oil companies to a small chain of non-profit retail stores here in Southern California. Before joining the faculty at Loyola, Bakhshian taught at Whittier Law School. She has been a member of the Loyola Law School faculty since 1997 and she became the Director of Bar Programs and Academic Success in 2011.
- Central States Legal Writing Conference, fall 2013, panel presentation, Critiquing our Critiques: Best Practices in Legal Writing Grading
- West Coast Consortium of Academic Support Professionals, fall 2013, presentation: No Credit, No Problem: Using Visuals to Teach Outlining & Essay Writing
- Rocky Mountain Legal Writing Conference, spring 2014, presentation: Got 5 Minutes? Teach Grammar, Writing Mechanics, & More
- Association of Academic Support Educators Conference, summer 2014, presentation: The First Domino: Teaching Note Taking
- Presenter, Western States Regional Legal Writing Conference, August 2012 and March 2012, Rocky Mountain Regional Legal Writing Conference, “The Real Thing: Using Unedited Cases and Jury Instructions as Class Exercises”
- Presenter, National Legal Writing Conference, June 2012, “Starting at the Finish Line: How to Revitalize Academic Success with an Integrated Program of Lawyering Skills and Bar Exam Skills,” (Co-presenters Assoc. Dean Jean Boylan, Asst. Director of Academic Success Prof. Anne Wells)
- Presenter, Central States Regional Legal Writing Conference, September 2011 and Rocky Mountain Regional Legal Writing Conference, March 2011, “No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service: Interpreting the Academic Dress Code.” (Co-presenter Professor Allison Martin, Indiana University School of Law – Indianapolis)
- Presenter, Rocky Mountain Regional Legal Writing Conference, March 2010, “Have your Power Point Slides Lost their Luster? Tone Up Your Slides to Teach Better”
- Presenter, Rocky Mountain Regional Legal Writing Conference, March 2009, and Empire State Legal Writing Conference May 2010, “Stop the Bleeding: Returning Legal Writing Assignments with Easy In-Class Exercises to Ease the Pain”
- Presenter, Central States Regional Legal Writing Conference, September 2009, “Heads I Win – Tails You Lose: How to Assign a Client in Persuasive Legal Writing Assignments,” (Co-presenter Professor Joel Schumm, Indiana University School of Law – Indianapolis)
- Presenter & Panelist, National Legal Writing Conference, July 2008, "Bar Exam Prep Courses: Legal Writing, Academic Support, Both, or Something Else"
- Presenter, Central States Regional Legal Writing Conference, October 2007, "Teaching Professionalism from Day One"
- Presenter, Rocky Mountain Regional Legal Writing Conference, March 2007, "New Tricks for Old Dogs" (teaching strategies for legal writing professors)
- Presenter, National Legal Writing Conference, July 2006, "Wave of the Future or Low Tide: Offering a Bar Exam Writing Course for Credit"
- Presenter & Panelist, Rocky Mountain Regional Legal Writing Conference, February 2006, "Too Much, Too Little or Just 'Write': What is the 'Right' Approach to Critiquing Student Drafts?"