Yxta Maya Murray
Professor of Law
William M. Rains Fellow
- Administration of Criminal Justice
- Feminist Jurisprudence
- Sexual Orientation and the Law
- AB, Stanford University
- JD, University of California Los Angeles
After law school, Yxta Murray clerked for the Honorable Harry Hupp in the Central District of California and then for the Honorable Ferdinand Fernandez of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in Pasadena. She joined the Loyola Law School faculty in 1995.
- 'You’re Creating New Categories': Anglo-American Radical Feminism’s Constitutionalism in the Streets, 9 Hastings Race & Poverty L.J. 454 (2012).
- Feminist Engagement and the Museum, 1 Br. J. Am. Leg. Studies 31 (2012).
- Rape Trauma, the State, and the Art of Tracey Emin. Forthcoming from California Law Review.
- The Pedagogy of Violence, 20 Southern California Interdisciplinary Law Journal 537 (2011).
- A Jurisprudence of Nonviolence, 9 Connecticut Public Interest Law Journal 65 (2009)
- The Good Girl’s Guide to Getting Kidnapped, Razorbill/Penguin (2009).
- The King’s Gold, HarperCollins, May 2007.
- The Queen Jade, HarperCollins, 2004.
- The Conquest, HarperCollins, 2002.
- What it Takes to Get to Vegas, Grove/Atlantic, 1999.
- Locas, Grove/Atlantic, 1997.
Representative Academic Presentations
- From Here I Saw What Happened and I Cried: Carrie Mae Weems' Challenge to the Harvard Archive, part of the Law, Peace, and Violence: An Interdisciplinary Approach symposium at Harvard Law School on October 12, 2012.
- The Pedagogy of Violence, delivered at the Law, Literature, and Translation Conference at Trinity College, Dublin, on June 9-10, 2012.
- Rape Trauma, the State, and the Art of Tracey Emin, delivered at the Feminist Legal Gathering at George Washington University, January 4, 2012.
- Feminist Legal Theory and Nonviolence, talk delivered at the Feminist and Women’s Studies Association annual conference at Brunel University, London, July 7, 2011.
- Readings of Scream like a Girl at Track 16 in Santa Monica on January 17, 2011 and Skylight Books on February 26, 2011.