The Externship Program offers students a wide range of opportunities to explore the nature of the attorney-client relationship, to experience the actual operation of legal institutions and to refine the lawyering skills they will use as future attorneys. All externships operate in accordance with the California Supreme Court Rules for the Practical Training of Law Students. Under these rules, students may perform legal tasks and make appearances in the state courts under the supervision of an experienced, practicing member of the State Bar of California.
Externships expose students to particular areas of practice through work in specialized offices. These include judicial clerkships, public interest organizations, government offices and a limited number of private corporations. As externs, students are usually involved in all aspects of the placement's practice. In the placements, students more fully develop their legal research and writing skills, interact with clients and develop practical skills in oral advocacy and courtroom procedure. Most students utilize the externship program to gain valuable legal experience and to network in the legal community.
Second and third year day students and third and fourth year evening students are eligible to participate in the Externship Program. A total of 14 units of externship credit may be applied to the required 87 units needed for graduation.
Some of the available opportunities:
- California Superior Court
- District Attorney, Hardcore Gang Unit
- EEOC, Office of the Administrative Judge
- Federal Public Defender
- National Labor Relations Board
- Immigration and Naturalization Service
- Internal Revenue Service
- Mexican American Legal Defense & Education Fund (MALDEF)
- Motion Picture Association of America
- NAACP Legal Defense & Education Fund
- National Senior Citizens Law Center
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- Securities and Exchange Commission
- Small Business Administration
- US Department of Justice
- US Federal Magistrate
- US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Learn more about externship opportunities offered through Loyola by clicking on the links on the left.
Founders Hall 240
919 Albany St.
Los Angeles, CA 90015
M: 8 am - 5:00 pm
T: 8 am - 4:50 pm
W: 8 am - 4:50 pm
Th: 8 am - 4:50 pm
F: 8 am - 3:50 pm
Extended Office Hours by Appointment via phone or e-mail