Seagull Haiyan SongVisiting Associate Professor of Law
BA, Beijing Language University
LLM, Hong Kong University
LLM, University of California, Berkeley School of Law
JSD, University of California, Berkeley School of Law
After 15 years of practice in the field of intellectual property law at international law firms and multinational company in both China and the United States, Professor Song joined Loyola Law School, Los Angeles in 2012. She is also a guest professor of law at Beijing University School of Transnational Law and China Renmin University Intellectual Property Academy. Song is a former senior counsel with Disney, overseeing the intellectual property program in the Asia Pacific region. Before joining Disney, she was a former consultant with Arnold & Porter LLP and a former partner with King and Wood PRC Lawyers, heading the intellectual property practice of the firm’s Shanghai Office. Song has been acclaimed as the "Asia Law Leading Lawyer" in the field of intellectual property for five consecutive years since 2006. She is a member of the Bar of the State of California and the Bar of the People's Republic of China.
- Seagull Haiyan Song, Entertainment Law, The Commercial Press (2014, Chinese language).
- Seagull Haiyan Song and Haining Song, Editor and co-translator, "Selected Chinese Patent Cases," Wolters Kluwer (2014); ISBN 9041150145
- Seagull Haiyan Song, "New Challenges of Chinese Copyright Law in the Digital Age-A Comparative Copyright Analysis of ISP Liability, Fair Use and Sports Telecasts," Kluwer Law International (2012), ISBN 978-90-411-3793-7
- Seagull Haiyan Song, "New Challenges of Chinese Copyright Law in the Digital Age" in Chinese language version, The Commercial Press ( 2011) ; ISBN 978-7-100-08296-9
- Seagull Haiyan Song, “2013 US-China IP Dialogue White Paper”, one of the five US participating experts, co-released by the US Chamber of Commerce and Renmin University Law School.
- Seagull Haiyan Song, "Reevaluating Fair Use in China - A Comparative Copyright Analysis of Chinese Fair Use Legislation, The U.S. Fair Use Doctrine, and the European Fair Dealing Model," IDEA: The Intellectual Property Law Review (Volume 51, 2011).
- Seagull Haiyan Song, "How Should China Respond to Online Piracy of Sports Telecasts? A Comparative Study of Chinese Copyright Legislation to the US and European Legislation," University of Denver Sports and Entertainment Law Journal (Volume IX 2010;
- Seagull Haiyan Song, "A Comparative Copyright Analysis of ISP Liability in China Versus the Unites States and Europe," The Computer & Internet Lawyer, Volume 27 (July 2010).
- Seagull Haiyan Song and Yuezhu Xu, "Why Were There Different Outcomes in Two Chinese ISP cases?" The Computer & Internet Lawyer, Volume 25 (Sept. 2008).
- Advisory Board Member and Executive Committee Member of Asia Society Southern California Center
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Copyright Society of the U.S.
- Advisory Board Member of China Intellectual Property Law Committee
Seagull Haiyan Song
919 Albany St.
Los Angeles, CA 90015