Brietta R. ClarkProfessor of Law
BA, University of Chicago
JD, University of Southern California, Order of the Coif
Prior to joining Loyola in 2001, Clark worked in the Los Angeles office of Sidley, Austin, Brown & Wood as an associate specializing in health care transactions and regulatory compliance. She was a post-graduate research fellow at the University of Southern California Law School, and, while in law school, Clark interned at the National Health Law Program in Los Angeles. Professor Clark remains active in the health law community through her service to legal, medical and consumer-based organizations and providers. Her research focuses on the structural defects and biases that create inequity in our health care delivery and financing systems, and the important role that law and government regulators play in ensuring equitable access to health care resources. Clark's on-going commentary on health care access and reform issues is provided at www.healthcarejusticeblog.org. Clark is also affiliate faculty member of The Bioethics Institute at Loyola Marymount University.
- Amicus Curiae Brief of Health Law Scholars, King v. Christie (3d Cir. Mar. 6, 2014) (Case No. 13-5038).
- Amicus Curiae Brief of Health Law Scholars, Pickup v. Brown and Welch v. Brown (9th Cir. Feb. 6, 2013) (Case Nos. 12-17681, 13-15023).
- Consultation with various legal organizations on health care regulatory matters such as hospital mergers, discriminatory coverage exclusions, and network adequacy in health plans.
- LACMA-LACBA Joint Committee on Biomedical Ethics (January 2006-2012); Served on the writing committee for pain management guidelines (Avoiding Problems With Pain Management: Ethical and Legal Guidelines for Physicians, 2012).
- Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Committee on Clinical Investigations (2007 - 2008)
- California Hospital Medical Center, Institutional Review Board (2001 - 2006)
- Health Law Section Executive Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association (2003 - 2010, past Chair)
- Services and Programs Committee (Member, October 2003 - 2005)
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Issues Subcommittee (Chair, 2007 - 2009; Member, 2005 - 2007)
- American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, Board Member & Member of Medical Legal Rights Committee (2006-2011)
- HIV & AIDS Legal Services Alliance, Board Member & Member of Medical-Legal Partnership Advisory Committee (2007-2011)
- APA Deference After Independence Living Center: Why Informal Adjudicatory Action Needs a Hard Look, 102 Kentucky Law Journal 211 (2013-14).
- A Moral Mandate & the Meaning of Choice: Conceiving the Affordable Care Act After NFIB, 6 Saint Louis University Journal of Health Law & Policy 267 (2013).
- Safeguarding Federalism by Saving Health Reform: Implications of National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius, 46 Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review 541 (2013).
- Medicaid Access, Rate Setting, and Payment Suits: How the Obama Administration is Undermining Its own Health Reform Goals, 55 Howard Law Journal 771 (2012).
- Using Law to Fight a Silent Epidemic: The Role of Health Literacy in Health Care Access, Quality, & Cost, 20 Annals of Health Law 253 (2011)
- An Assessment of the Law School Climate for GLBT Students, 58 Journal of Legal Education 214 (June 2008) (with Kelly Strader, Robin Ingli, Elizabeth Kransberger, Lawrence Levine, and William Perez)
- The Immigrant Health Care Narrative and What it Tells Us About the U.S. Health Care System, 17 Annals of Health Law 229 (2008)
- Hospital Flight from Minority Communities: How Our Existing Civil Rights Framework Fosters Racial Inequality in Healthcare, 9 DePaul Journal of Health Care Law 1023 (2006)
- Erickson v. Bartell Drug Co.: A Roadmap for Gender Equality in Reproductive Health Care or an Empty Promise? 23 University of Minnesota Journal of Law and Inequality 299 (2005)
- The Continuing Battle for Gender Equality in Reproductive Health, Loyola Lawyer (Fall 2004)
- When Free Exercise Exemptions Undermine Religious Liberty and the Liberty of Conscience: A Case Study of The Catholic Hospital Conflict, 82 Oregon Law Review 625 (2003)
- Making Sense of Managed Care Quality Information," National Health Law Program, Inc. & Center for Health Care Rights (November 1998) (contributing author)
In the News
- "Demanding Equality in Health Care Reform" American Society of Law, Medicine & Ethics (aslme.org) (Nov. 23, 2009)
- "Clever, Unconstitutional Way to Curb Abortions," San Francisco Chronicle, (sfgate.com) (with Karl Manheim, Nov. 13, 2009)
- "The Missing Piece of Healthcare Reform," Los Angeles Daily Journal (Oct. 23, 2009)
- "A Painful Lesson," Los Angeles Daily Journal (July 22, 2009)
- "What a Difference a Name Makes," Los Angeles Daily Journal (April 29, 2009)
- "Nonsense for Nonprofits," Los Angeles Daily Journal (Feb. 18, 2009)
- "Insurance Doesn't Equal Access," Los Angeles Daily Journal (Nov. 5, 2008)
- "Rapidly Fraying Safety Net," Los Angeles Daily Journal (Sept. 10, 2008)
- Rescissions: A Scary Epidemic, dailyjournal.com (June 18, 2008)
- South Carolina's Ultrasound Bill is Unconstitutional and Unethical, bioethicsforum.com (April 20, 2007)
- Bush's Plan is Not the Answer, bioethicsforum. com (Feb. 2007)
- The Hidden Costs of a Cruel and Unusual Prison Health Care System, bioethicsforum.com (Sept. 2006)
919 Albany St.
Los Angeles, CA 90015
- Health Care Access
- Health Care Organizations & Compliance
- Medical Malpractice and the Public Regulation of Health Care Quality
- Administrative Law
- Business Associations